Tuesday, June 30, 2009

June 30th Email

Dear Family and Friends,

Hola! Como Esta! I am doing good and as you can tell the Spanish is coming one phrase at a time. On Tuesday nights we hold a class for Spanish speakers to learn English. I learn a lot of Spanish from the people that come. We laugh so hard because of how I pronounce things. But it will come with time!

We started teaching a young girl this week. Her name is Saida and she is 11. You pronounce that Sa-da. It is Spanish for Sarah, I think. She is a really sweet girl and is very smart. On Sunday she told me “If I have to speak one day I know what I would speak on. I would talk on the Prophet Joseph Smith.” She loves him and wants to learn all she can about the gospel. I am so excited to teach her. She has a wonderful spirit about her!

This week I read Alma 24. I loved this chapter and encourage all of you to read it. It is amazing! In this chapter the Anti- Nephi-Lehies bury their weapons of war for peace. There are many things in our lives that we do that cause contention in our lives and the lives of others. We need to bury these so that we can have peace in our lives. Some of the weapons that I can see in the world is gossip, negativity about self, others and situations, and sometimes how we treat others. The Anti-Nephi-Lehies buried their swords to avoid the temptation of falling back into their old ways. Bury the temptations to hurt others so that you can stand up against Satan!

Yesterday we had a wonderful Sister’s Conference. The Assistants to the President came and talked about the culture of our mission. I thought about what the cultures of our lives are. What is our lifestyle portraying? One thing we talked about , and I think that this happens throughout the church, is the –ite problem. We develop groups and won’t let others come in. Just like in the Book of Mormon, we separate ourselves into the Lamanites, the Amulonites, and all the other –ites. Why can’t we all just be friends?

Remember to always listen to the Spirit and do what He is saying. I love you all!!

Love
Sister Comte

No comments: