Saturday, January 22, 2011

Tale as Old as Time





When I was six years old Beauty and the Beast was my favorite Disney Movie. I loved Belle and thought I looked like her. The night before my sixth birthday my family gathered at my Grandparents home. There house was my favorite place to be. I loved my Grandpa's garden and all the wonderful food that came from it. I loved my Grandma's hugs. I remember the cake specifically that year because my mom had bought a Beauty and a Beast figurine to go on top of the cake. I can't remember much else about that night but I am sure it was filled with love.
The next morning I awoke early to find a present wrapped and waiting to be opened. My parents were out on their morning walk and me and my brothers gathered in the living room to wait for them to come home. Before my parents got here my grandmother called. My grandfather had passed away that morning. As a six year old I didn't quite understand what was happening. On such a happy day for me everyone was sad. I was sad too. I don't remember much about my Grandpa but what I do remember is sweet. He was an amazing man full of integrity.
Beauty and the Beast has always meant a lot to me because I feel it is my connection to my Grandpa. When I see it I cry and laugh. It reminds me of the love that my Grandpa had for all people. It reminds me to love and let others love me in return!
This last week my mom and I went and saw the play Beauty and the Beast. Our neighbor across the street was Belle. We had several other neighbor kids in the play as well. One was a feather duster, two others were village people. It was so fun to see them all and to hear their wonderful voices. I was so proud of them. They did such a good job with the play. There wasn't a moment that I wasn't entertained.
It made me think of my Grandpa Bowen. It is a tale as old as time.....love conquers all. It is my Grandpa's legacy. Love surrounds the broken, the desperate, the lonely, the down trodden, the lost and helps them to overcome. This is what I remember most about my Grandpa; LOVE! What a great legacy to have passed down!

P.S. Do you want to know about my Grandma's legacy. It is pretty much the same. Several years ago at a family reunion my Aunt wrote a beautiful song about my Grandma's legacy. We, children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren sang this to her at the reunion. It was beautiful and there wasn't a dry eye in the room!
Grandma’s Legacy

(sung to the tune of “God Bless America”)

Love is your legacy

Down through the years

Knit together, forever

Reaching out through

the joys and the tears

There were good time

-there were hard times

Making stronger family ties

This is your family-we honor you

Love binds this family- and we bless you

Kindness and sacrifice

These things we know

From example, a teacher

Tender heart, words to lift,

help us grow

Patient mother, willing helper

Testimony strong and true

We are your legacy- and we love you

Each of our lives reflect a part of you

No comments: