Monday, January 31, 2011

Pain and Suffering

A couple of days ago while reading my mission journal I came across this quote. " Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." This quote was given by David Osmond. David Osmond came and spoke at a fireside while I was on my mission. It was really neat to get to meet him personally. He has a very uplifting story and he positive attitude is inspiring. Here is a really good video of him and his story!

I was thinking a lot about this quote lately. Pain is defiantly a part of my life and I sometimes fall into the trap of pity parties. When I was reminded of this quote, I thought about the difference between pain and suffering. Pain is a hurtful experience. Suffering is a reaction to something that is hurtful. There are certainly ways that we can react to pain. Suffering makes the situation even worse than it already is. We can choose how we react. Isn't that the beauty of life? I want to apply this more to my life. Instead of suffering, I want to find the joy.
This whole scenario made me think of a dear family that I know. The dad of the family got cancer. His sister had died of this same type of cancer a year ago. But not once did I see this young family lose faith or hope. They knew that all might not be as they would like it to be in the end. But they believed in God's plan and knew that they would see each other again. Talk about when life gives you lemons. This family wasn't suffering through their experience they were living through it. Of course they weren't joyful and happy every second of the journey. I am sure they were sad and heart broken but they exemplified faith in every footstep, whether joyful or sad. The dad is now in remission and is doing well, but even if he wasn't the family wouldn't be suffering! What a great example to all around them!

1 comment:

The Holdaway Family said...

What an amazing quote! It makes so much sense!