Monday, April 16, 2012

the WHY transforms...

I am in charge of Ward Prayer in my ward. This means that every week I need to find some sort of spiritual thought to give before the prayer is said. This week I gave this quote and asked people to comment on it. As people were giving their thoughts, I was reminded of a situation that I was in a few weeks ago. A girl in one of the meetings I was attending started saying that we needed to visit this girl because she was on our list of people to visit. This girl wanted to put a check next to a list of things that needed to be done. This comment really bothered me. I turned to this girl and said "I don't love people because it is my duty. I love people because I am a child of God. I want to share His love with those around me." The girl then turned in her chair and kept quiet.
Why do we do what we do? Why do we keep the commandments? Why do we go to church? Why do we continue to live each and every day? We defiantly know what we are doing here, but WHY? We know what commandments to keep, we know what church building we attend church at, and we know what the gospel teaches. Sometimes I am not sure why I am doing things. So, after yesterday, I challenged myself to ask, WHY? I hope that I will remember the deeper meaning of things and that my why will be for the right reason!

1 comment:

michele said...

Jody, your blog is so inspiring I love reading it. And I love you! I'm so glad that you are such a positive person.