Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Best of Starts

I wrote this in my journal a few days ago and wanted to write it down here.  The lessons I have learned in the last week are so important, I wanted this to be my first post of the new year.  Here is what I wrote:
Right now I am sitting next to a warm fireplace in Idaho Falls.  I was invited by a very dear friend to come visit her and her family.  This dear friend has been a blessing in my life for several years now.  I met her at BYU while I was working with the volleyball team.  After I had finished my first year of college, I moved in with Ashton.  I learned quite a bit about life and the way I wanted to live.  Ashton was creative, organized, and productive with her time.  She didn't waste a moment of her time because she was using it wisely to study both secular and spiritual things, giving, and improving herself.  I will never forget the spirit that encompassed Ashton.  And the first memory I have of her and her husband as a newly married couple is one that I have always dreamed would be my own.  I wasn't able to go to their reception and so delivered their gift late.  I had set up to drop the present off at their apartment.  I remember walking into the small space and feeling the spirit immediately.  After about a week of marriage, Ashton and her husband, Drew, had the spirit in their home.  It has been a few years and Ashton now has two beautiful children.  We talk every once in awhile.  She has a real natural ability to always come when I need her the most.  A month or so ago she called and asked if I would like to come visit her as she was visiting her family in Idaho.  I won't lie, I was nervous to go visit a family that I didn't really know.  But I knew if they were anything like Ashton I would be comfortable.  Once again I walked into a home filled with the spirit.  I have been watching throughout my visit and although it hasn't been a long visit I have noticed, once again, quite a bit about life and the way I want to live my life.  As I walked into the Hansen home, love and laughter enveloped me.  Many people were gathered at their house even though many had left before I even arrived.  Everyone was laughing and having the time of their lives.  With this atmosphere, peace and security were felt.  No one was loud or boisterous but all were softly concerned for one another.  I told Ashton that I just wanted to take notes on her family because they seemed like the heaven on earth that we are promised by the Savior himself.
I soon began asking myself the question of how has this family accomplished this feeling of love and heaven. I saw a mother who knew her calling as a mother was more than performing motherly duties but as an extension of the Savior's mission on earth.  I saw children that love the gospel and say personal prayers everyday. I saw siblings that truly enjoyed each other's company.  I saw a father who took his priesthoods duties farther than his Sunday worship.  I saw a house of love.  This family has striven to act as the Savior would in every situation.  I loved seeing the pictures of their family and friends that had been over to celebrate the holidays with them, on their cupboards.  I was inspired as every time we walked out the door we were told we were beautiful, smart, and that we could do anything we wanted to do.  After we would say prayers with the family every night we were reminded that we were loved.  This house was not all talk though, as almost every decoration in the home reminded me of our Heavenly Father and our divine purpose here on earth.
I was so deeply touched by my visit and felt so strengthened by the spirit.  I hope next time I will have more time with this amazing family.  Thanks to the Hansens for a great start to the new year!
Brooklyn (Ashton's little girl)

At the Idaho Falls Temple with Ashton and her brother

No comments: