Sunday, September 4, 2011

A small bag of tomatoes...and a few peaches too!


Sometimes you will hear me complain about my job. This isn't because I don't love my job but because I get so bored with it at times. I work in a mail room on campus. And I truly do love it. Actually I adore it. Let me explain why I love it so much. The number one reason is the people that are in the building where I work. They are great. I haven't met one yet that I haven't become friends with eventually. It takes me longer to do the routes than the other workers simple because I love these people and talk to them often. I wanted to talk about some of these people and how they have touched my life.
A couple weeks ago a lady from our building asked if we had ever been to the Farmer's Market on campus. We said we had not. This sweet lady then invited us to come and visit her there. So I went to the Market. When I got there I found her. Her and her daughter were selling tomatoes and peaches. She handed me a bag full of peaches for free. She refused to let me pay her. I was so grateful. What a sweet act of kindness that will always be with me.
Last Friday as I did my route another lady waved me into her office. On her desk was a small bag of grape tomatoes. I love grape tomatoes, they are my very favorite type of tomato. This lady is always very kind to me and my coworkers. She knows all of our names and always uses them. She was on the phone, when she gave me the bag of tomatoes, or I would have hugged her. It was so thoughtful of her.
Many others have invited us to parties, given us candy when we walked into their office, or simply just said hi. Their is one lady that keeps a bowl of pretzels on her desk. If it is empty when I walk in she fills it up right away. Another gentlemen in the building always asks about our schooling and boyfriends. And yet the student workers are always gracious to us as well.
I love the people in the building where I work. I am very grateful for my association with them. I will never forget the kindness of a small bag of tomatoes and a few peaches!

1 comment:

merrilykaroly said...

Jody, you are SO easy to love. Just saying. I'm sure you instantly make friends wherever you go. (Although it sounds like those people are extra nice :) )