Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Change of Mind: A Repost

(I posted this yesterday, then took it off because I was afraid it was too much, but then changed my mind and am putting it back up)

DISCLAIMER: THIS WAS WRITTEN AFTER BEING TOLD REPEATEDLY THAT THE ONLY WAY TO BE HAPPY IS TO BE MARRIED, IN MORE OR LESS WORDS. I AM UPSET WITH THIS BECAUSE I FEEL THAT I CAN BE HAPPY WITH THE POINT I AM AT WITH MY LIFE. THIS IS NOT TO SAY THAT I DON'T WANT TO BE DATING SO THAT ONE DAY I MIGHT GET MARRIED. I WANT A FAMILY MORE THAN ANYTHING. THERE ARE DAYS THAT IT MAKES ME SO SAD THAT I AM NOT AT THIS POINT IN MY LIFE. BUT FOR THE MOST PART I AM OH SO VERY VERY HAPPY WITH MY SINGLE LIFE. THE POINTS I MAKE ARE TO REALIZE THAT THERE IS JOY IN THE HERE AND NOW. AND THEY ARE NOT TO SAY THAT I WOULDN'T GIVE UP MY SINGLE LIFE IN A HEART BEAT TO START A FAMILY!!!

So, it has been awhile. So much has happened and there is so much to say. But this is what I have decided to write about for my first post of the year 2012. Lately it seems that I am getting farther into singlehood. Scott got married, my roommate is getting married, everyone that I go to school with is married or is getting married, and I happen to be the only one(besides my brand new roommie) that doesn't currently have a boy in her life. Most days I am fine with this fact but what does the world around me think? Here are just a few things I have heard people say in the last several weeks to me and to others of the single population: (The next couple of quotes are going to be written without giving names as some one might read this blog some day!)

"You must be sad to see Scott get married since you can't even get a date."

"You can sit over there because you have no one else to sit by."

"Single girls are just depressed because they aren't married."

So in so "is depressed because all her friends are getting married, not because they are being horrible bridezilla's to everyone around them."

"Now that Scott is married, I guess we will start praying for you to find someone for eternity."

"When was the last time you had a date? Aren't you getting old?"

"I have been doomed to a life of SOLITUDE and I am only 21!"

"Marriage is so much fun and life is just dull without someone next to me."

"I am so happy that I graduated from the singles ward."

What the Smurf is everyone's problem? (Can you tell what movie I watched this weekend? Yes, an advantage of being single is deciding to watch movies all night and then sleep the whole next day without anyone caring!) Why can't I be happy and single? I am sorry that this culture that I live in thinks something is wrong with me because I can't get a date. But I like being single. I am happy with my singlehood. And I want to tell you, well I guess me since I am pretty much the only one that reads this blog, why I love it so much. Here are my top ten reasons:

1. I make my own money and I can buy whatever I want after the essentials.

2. If I want to go to Disneyland, Hawaii, New York, Florida, Cancun, etc.... I could go tomorrow if I didn't have class or work!

3. I can cuddle with my girlfriends till 2 in the morning watching movie, after movie, after movie.....

4. When I need an hour or two to myself, I can have it.

5. I can work on bettering myself without having to worry about someone else's problems.

6. I can read for hours on end without affecting anyone else's time.

7. When I want to, I can go visit my friends, my family, and all the little children that I love. This is once again without affecting anyone else's time.

8. I am furthering my education and not having to worry about paying for someone else.

9. I can be absolutely selfish without hurting someone that is permanently attached to me.

10. I am getting to know myself better which leads me to believe that I know what I want in a man better. (Is the second part of this true?)

11.Have I mentioned how much I love my roommates, well at least the majority of the time? I want to be able to spend time with them!

12. I am there for most family events and am able to help with my niece and nephew whenever I want to.

13. Speaking of my niece and my nephew, I get to be an awesome aunt to them without thinking about my own children.

14. At this point, I am the only director of my life. But one day I do want to share the directors role with someone else!

15. No sharing the remote, no sharing the bed with a snoring person, no having to make dinner at night, and the excitement that Mr. Right could be around the next corner!

Like I said in my disclaimer, this is not to say that I don't want to be married. I want to be able to give myself wholly to someone else. I am more than willing to give up all my time, my money, my roommates, my family events, my listening ear and caring heart. It is hard at times to be single, some days it hurts. Just two days ago I say the cutest couple hold hands and my heart ached for a moment. I want to get married and have children but for now I AM HAPPY. I want to shout HOORAY as I have time to better myself. And when the day comes I will shout hooray again. Isn't it about finding the joy in the journey? So why can't I do a happy single dance? Contrary to popular belief if your single and you know it, YOU CAN BE HAPPY!

No comments: