Friday, December 31, 2010

Last Christmas

I know this is kind of late but I was looking at some old pictures and realized that I had never posted about Christmas last year. Of course that is because I was on my mission, but that doesn't mean that I can't do it now. Last Christmas I was in Valrico, Florida. For those of you who don't know where that is, it is just outside of Tampa. Valrico will always hold a special place in my heart. I loved it there and the people there I consider as my own family.
To kick off the holiday season our stake put on a beautiful Festival of Nativities. The whole event was thought up by a wonderful lady in our ward. Since she was the main person behind the scenes we got to help out a lot. Many people borrowed their nativity sets to be displayed for everyone to come look at them. Nativities from all over the world were displayed. Besides the nativities there was live entertainment, cookies and punch, a children's room full of games and dress-up manger clothes, and even a live nativity. It was such a good event that I wanted to go back this year. The spirit was so strong and it was gorgeous. What a great way to remember the reason for the season!
This set is made out of Pine Needles
This set is from Hawaii
I loved this cute snowmen set
This is made out of Plant Holders
This one is from the Artic
This is the live nativity and the people that are playing the different parts are from the Valrico ward. Most of them are from a family that we loved to visit. The baby in the manger was so peaceful as she lay where the Savior would have.

As a missionary we loved to share the gospel at this time of the year. We would often go caroling or watch "Joy to the World." We loved visiting all the families in our ward and asking for their help. Many families invited us over for Family Home Evening and we would share our message. After our message we would help them put up their Christmas tree or do some other type of festivity. One night we went and helped the Hayes family. I really loved this family. The mother is from Germany and had a wonderful accent. They have five children and each one of them were such neat and great kids.
We also helped a great lady name Sister Broughton with her tree and Christmas village. Sister Broughton had broken her hip earlier in the year and needed help with just a few things. We loved visiting her. She is from England and would always have tea for us. She was a very elegant lady. Her house was beautiful but very comfortable. I felt as though she was a dear sweet aunt to me.

We also did a Family Home Evening with the Gleasons. The Gleason were an awesome family that I just adored. Sister Gleason, or super mom, is a single mother with three children. We taught the youngest two children and they got baptized. Sister Gleason and her oldest son have been members for many years but the youngest two hadn't been baptized. We always had so much fun with their family. I feel like they are my brothers and sister. We built a gingerbread house with them and talked about having a firm foundation to build on.
The whole gang after the house was built
Chris working hard on the house
Michael and his gingerbread man
Katie and her tree
Sister Gleason and her cookie that is sad. I can't remember why her cookie was sad but I remember laughing a lot about it! I love this women so much!

For the ward's Christmas party we did a talent show. It was really cute but my favorite act was a wonderful sister in the ward reciting "The Grinch." She had dressed up like the Grinch and told the story. The children were so captivated as were the adults. I don't know how to get videos to work on my blog. If I did I would post it but you will just have to use your imagination.
On Christmas Eve we went with the Gleason and saw lights. It was really fun. Floridians really get into the holiday spirit. It seems like every house there is decorated. I can't find the pictures but I remember laughing a lot and hearing lots of oh, ahs!
Finally Christmas came. My companion at the time was Sister Larson. We spent the day with some really good families in our ward. It was fun to watch the children open presents and to see their excitement. We spent most of the day with the Wightmans. We loved going to the Wightmans. We always had fun there. We watched "White Christmas" and had two dinners back to back. Of course we got to call home which was one of my favorite parts. It was fun to talk to my family and hear how they were all doing but it was also great to see how others celebrate Christmas.

1 comment:

The Holdaway Family said...

I LOVE nativities! I bet it was so fun seeing all of the different ones people brought to share!