Tuesday, August 9, 2011

MAT Camp

Two days after I got home from Florida, I left for Music, Art and Technology Camp in Wyoming. My aunt is the executive director of this camp. When I was a young girl and teenager I went to this camp but it was called Music Camp back then. I taught 6 craft classes a day from Kindergarten to 5th grade. It was awesome! I loved every minute of it. There is seriously not one minute that I look back on that I didn't enjoy.
The Saturday before I left my family was great to help me gather all my supplies. My mom and Deedra went to one store and ran errands in Payson. Hunter and I went to Provo and did the errands there. Scott helped gather everything that was at home. Their were supplies all over our front lawn as I organized everything into bins and into the car! I am so grateful for my family and for their help!
I really have to give thanks to my neighbors the Barnum's. They were at camp with me. I took two of their kids with me up to camp and then back home because I didn't want to drive by myself. They helped me unload my car and entertained me for the drive. Norma helped me in my classroom and acted as my surrogate mother all week! I know I could not have down it without them. They have always been so good to me and I feel that they are more family than friends!



My first class of the day was called Ocean Commotion. We made all sorts of Ocean Crafts. My favorite was the Socktopus. We took a sock, filled it partly with rice and then cut the rest of the sock for the legs. I didn't get any pictures because I was busy doing the craft but trust me they were cute!

My next class was Comte's Corner. We would read a book and then make a craft. I loved all of the crafts we made. My favorite though was paper bag hats and pirate hats. I only had 6 kids in this class so it was easy to keep it under control.

After lunch I taught four classes in a row. My first was flower clips, then making musical instruments, my food class, and then a science class. They were all pretty successful. I loved seeing the kids faces light up! I think the most successful projects out of these classes were volcanoes, geyser, and fake sushi.

All in all it was grand. I can't wait till next year. If you read this blog and are interested in maybe bringing your kids or yourself next year, you can find more information here: http://youngmusicians.net/. The camp is for ages 4- 99. They have a wide range of classes and they are all great. I highly recommend this camp if you want something really fun to do in the summer!

No comments: